July 12, 2008

Benjie Layos as Siddhartha

Benjie Layos has been playing the role of Siddhartha for the 18 performances we've had since July 2007 . Here's your first glimpse of this charming, good looking guy who has won the hearts of many.

1. Tell us something about yourself.

I'm a free spirited person. I love to explore things and traveling is one of my passions. I want to go to places that this world can offer and enjoy its breathtaking sceneries. I'm a graduate of Bachelors of Science in Physical Therapy but I can say that music (or singing) has been in my veins since I first learned my ABC's, that's way ahead before I studied my basic human anatomy.

I grew up with a very fun loving, enthusiastic, music oriented family. A sanguine guy, I always look at the bright side knowing that each day of my life is a gift...that's why it's called PRESENT.

2. Why did you audition for Siddhartha?

Being a stage play actor was one of my dreams since I was a child. But I never had the chance to be part of any play before since I didn't know anybody working in this industry. Siddhartha came in a very unexpected way. I was supposed to audition for another play (which I saw in posters all over Ayala mall) but sadly I missed it because I was too coward to audition. So I was a bit down for the entire week thinking I may have missed my chance of being a stage play actor. But then I received a text message from a friend asking me if I was interested to join a musical play. So this time without hesitation I said yes. And thus my magical journey to Siddhartha started.

Oh yes, and my audition was so funny. I was asked to sing classical songs, do some groovy dance moves with praise song as background music. But I think I did something right because I got the role of Prince Siddhartha. Not bad for a first timer, right? Hehehe

3. Have you had any musical theater experience prior to this?

No, except for those plays inside the classroom during high school or college years. I also did some acting in front of the camera for short films on local tv. I am a certified amateur in the theater industry and Siddhartha was responsible for starting me off in the theater world.


4. What did you feel when you were chosen to be Siddhartha?

The feeling was so intense, it was like winning the jackpot on the lottery. After the audition, I went back home with a very big smile on my face with all the excitement that I am about to experience and fascinated with the magic of it all. But then when I was in bed that night, I was suddenly hit by the reality that I need to really work hard since I was playing not just any ordinary role but the LEAD ROLE, THE MAJOR ROLE! Waaaaaa! Honestly, that scared me big time and I was not able to sleep. But it was also my dream so I was determined to work hard since it was my first "serious" experience in theater.


No comments: