October 28, 2008

Darren Romano as Prophet Assita and King Suddhodana

1. Tell us something about yourself.

I am Darren Romano. I'm 21 years old from Talisay City, Cebu. I study at Cebu Doctor's University taking up Bachelor of Science in Nursing. I am currently on my final year in the college and will be graduating this coming March 2009.

2. What made you decide to audition for Siddhartha?

Well, I didn't know of Siddhartha until my friend, Antoinette Gorgonio told me about this musical. And because of my previous experience in theatre which is Jesus Christ Superstar, I have grown to love the theatre business. And I love to sing, dance, and act so I decided to join and audition.

3. How did you feel when you were chosen for your role?

a. Prophet Assita - at first when I found out that I have been chosen for the role of Assita, I thought "oh great, just what I need, an old man for me...", but then as I continued learning about the musical and the character itself, I understood the story as well as role that Assita played in shaping Siddhartha's life and I got a sense of connection with the character given to me.

b. King Suddhodana - being given this role came as a complete shock to me. I have always admired Zennith, who played the role of King. I on the other hand feared this role because it was extremely hard for me to reach the vocal requirement for the character's songs since I'm a Baritone/ Tenor 2. And Zennith was a tenor 1. When Zennith failed to show up for the next practice for our CCP show, I was one of the few singers given the chance to audition for the role.

4. Have you had any previous experience with musical theatre?

- Yes I have, I played as the infamous homosexual King Herod in the protestant musical, "Jesus Christ Superstar : The Rock Opera " which was shown last December 2006

No comments: